1 in stock
Stanhope and Byram have rich industrial histories that were shaped by local natural resources. Winding its way through Stanhope, the Morris Canal aided the town’s iron production, while Lake Musconetcong helped sustain production and transport materials through the area. Stanhope began as an unincorporated village, having been carved out of Byram Township, a neighboring community established in 1798, and was officially incorporated as Stanhope Borough in 1904. Byram benefitted from the Morris Canal, with its Waterloo Village as a thriving halfway point along the canal. Situated between Jersey City and Phillipsburg, Waterloo provided a perfect stopover for weary canal workers. Despite its prime location and various amenities, the village was ultimately abandoned in the 1920s. Preservation and restoration efforts and fundraising have been ongoing, and the site currently offers tours and programs. Stanhope and Byram shares the history of these two close-knit bedroom communities that are embraced for their tranquil scenery and inviting atmospheres.